- If you weren’t a designer what would you be?
I can’t begin to describe how envious I am of Emma Watson after watching the new Beauty and the Beast. If I wasn’t a designer, I would be Belle.
- Morning routine?
Breakfast and coffee with my boys followed by a scenic commute to the office
- What’s your perfect cup of coffee?
One that isn’t on a tight schedule – a vanilla latte with a sprinkle of cinnamon – early Saturday morning.
- What’s No. 1 on your bucket list right now?
I have to get to Iceland somehow, sometime soon.
- Quote to live by?
Let it Be.
- Favorite vacation destination?
Road Tripping through Alaska
- Describe your aesthetic in three words?
Light, Linear, Personal
- What made you go into the interior design field?
I became engulfed in turning a creative outlet into a career. I think it was the realization that I didn’t want to anxiously await retirement for 40 years.
- Which celebrity’s house would you love to design?
Maybe Jennifer Anniston’s. Nothing really flashy- just tasteful and comfortable.
- What color scheme are you digging right now?
I usually default to cool blue with clean white, warm neutral accent colors, and a surprising pop of metallic (gold). It’s just so versatile.
- Share one tip for someone looking to bust out of a style rut?
Go for a walk. Inspiration can come from simply getting a breath of fresh air.
- Design Rules: One to break? One to always follow?
One to Break: Do not overlap time periods – from my blog 7 Design Rules worth Breaking
One to always follow: Consider the health and welfare of the users. Be conscious of the content of the materials you select.
- Is there a trend you would love to try, but haven’t been able to talk a client into yet?
I try to stay away from really “trendy things. But I’m dying to do a penny-sized copper tile back splash.
- What’s the best design advice you’ve ever been given?
At the end of the day, the space isn’t yours. The most successful projects aren’t exactly what you had envisioned; they’re exactly what your client had envisioned. Success comes from client satisfaction.
- Which designers do you admire most?
I am a huge admirer of Thomas Pheasant’s work. His spaces are so serene and airy.
- What’s your spirit pattern?
Herringbone or Chevron
- What’s one thing people would be surprised to know about you?
I only took one art class in school, and it wasn’t until college. My art credits were always consumed by foreign language and chorus.
- Where do you go for inspiration when you’re feeling stumped?
I like to go to places that have water features. Something about it always gives me a new, refreshed perspective.
- Which designers should we be following on social media?
I love Victoria Hagan and Mass Deign Group’s Instagram